Thursday, June 16, 2005

"There Was a Time"

Living by oneself in a town like Rensselaer sure does give one a lot of time to think.

There Was a Time
    - Written by a former roommate who has changed my life on many occassions.

There was a time,
which was a force -
invisible, unsensed,
that was a change.

There was a time
when a silver pane of glass
reflected nothing
but each's silver lining.

There was a time
when hours melted
into lifetimes -
and lifetimes into
mere moments.

There was a time
when worries floated,
suspended in too much
joy to dream of sinking.

There was a time
when "woman" meant
so much more than
estrogen or ovaries:
and in its stead - strength.

There was a time
when there was no "time" -
when lessons disguised
as days passed like
the turning pages
of a delicate novel.

. . and I lived these memories,
. . and I loved these moments,
. . and I am forever
changed
by the fragile
force
which blessed our
time.

I certainly do miss those girls.

2 comments:

Luke said...

I'll admit it is not the most exciting place to be, but there are things to do and get involved in if you look for them.

Frema said...

I hear there's a college in your little town. Maybe there's something to get into there?