Wednesday, June 01, 2005

The Boys are Back in Town

And by "the boys," I mean me; by "back in town," I mean back online. Not that I was ever really offline... I just had a lot going on. Which means a lot to post about. Which means the end of the mystery regarding the future of my blog... yes, I plan to keep posting. Sorry for the delay. I expect the email harrassment and office nagging to stop. :)

Let's see... first, I guess I should say that I am now the proud owner of a Bachelor's degree in English/Creative Writing. With the exception of my 21st birthday, graduation weekend was the best time of my life. Baby Oil Slip n' Slide was a great idea... don't let anyone tell you any differently. It (the weekend... not the Slip n' Slide) had the potential to be really sucky, though, as I had interviewed earlier that week for a job that I desperately wanted... I was to find out if I got the job a mere two days before graduation.

Despite much worrying and not too much sleeping, I got the job! I am the new Director of Publications and Media Relations for Saint Joseph's College. Sometimes I just like to say it... or type it and read it through a few times... maybe aloud once or twice... Anyway, it's been great so far. This is my second week. Everyone in the office has been super nice and friendly and helpful... I'm waiting to see what it'll be like once that wears off. Just kidding :)

It is really sad being here without Frema, though. Sitting at the desk (I just typed "sitting at her desk"...), I still feel like I'm the intern and I'm just using her computer while she's out of the office. My boss yelled at me to put some personal things around the office, so I have a bunch of pictures and stuff now, but that's not really helping to make it feel more real. I guess maybe once the students get back in August it will be different.

Also, I think this place will feel more "me" when I get to move into my apartment. Right now, I'm living on campus, in the same 5-bedroom apartment I lived in while I was a student. It's a great place and I'm eternally thankful that I was allowed to stay there free of charge... but I hate it. I hate living by myself. The place is too big for just me and I keep waiting for someone else to be there... for one of my old roommates to walk through the door. It sucks. When I get into my new apartment (which is also Frema's old apartment, a million thanks to her for securing it for me), I think I'll be a little happier with the solitary situation. I hope so, anyway. It'll be mine... not a temporary place or free campus housing... granted, I'll still be alone, but at least I'll be alone in a smaller area. I'm sad that I can't have any pets, though. Really sad. I just wanted a little dog or cat that would love me... and let me talk to it... and oblige when I forced it to walk into a darkened room first because it's too scary to do alone... but, alas. No pets. Maybe I'll get a plant and talk to that, instead. Or some fish... I have a friend who used to have fish and he talked to them all the time... I could always do that. Part of me is still hoping that someday soon, Phil (I don't even know why I linked his name... it's not like he's posted recently or will ever post again...) will get sick of his cat and give her to me.

I know there are more things I wanted to write about, but now that I actually have the time to sit and write, I can't think of anything. Oh well... I'll just leave you with this, instead:

Show me that smile again (Oh, show me that smile)
Don't waste another minute on your cryin'
We're nowhere near the end (We're nowhere near)
The best is ready to begin

As long as we've got each other
We got the world spinnin' right in our hands
Baby, you and me
We gotta be
The luckiest dreamers who never quit dreamin'

As long as we keep on givin'
We can take anything that comes our way
Baby, rain or shine
All the time
We got each other
Sharin' the laughter and love
Sharin' the laughter and... love

PS - Phil and Dave: I win. :)

4 comments:

Luke said...

Just so you know, the closets at Frema's old pad are haunted, so make sure you keep them doors shut at night.

Frema said...

Growing Pains!

I'm divided on my favorite TV theme song--it's either the one for Perfect Strangers or Silver Spoons. How can one be expected to choose when the eighties had so many darn catchy ones?

Thank you for being a friend
Down the road and back again
Your heart is true
You're a pal and a confidant
Thank you for being a friend

Blanche - er, Bree
No...Frema!

Frema said...

Um, Sha-na-na-naaa is from Family Ties. *head shake*

Adam said...

We're so glad to have you at SJC. Hope the new job is going well for you and stay in touch.